Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Southwest Sweet Potato Burritos

Welcome back! I apologize for not updating this blog more. There's no excuse for it other than I got lazy. BUT now my family and I have moved to a new city which offers so much more fresh, quality food that I can't help but be inspired in my cooking again!

So tonight, I bring you our dinner.

Pay attention, veggie heads! This is an all vegetarian meal, and if you edit the condiments and buy the right tortillas, it's vegan. I love that. My husband didn't even miss meat, and he's a very "meat and potatoes" kind of guy. The beans and sweet potatoes make it very hearty! As a note, you saute the veggies in oil, and I used vegetable. You can use whatever oil you have on hand, with the exception of a strong olive oil.


How freakin delicious does that look?!

Well, I'll tell ya. It was the bomb. Here's the recipe:

Southwest Sweet Potato Burritos

2 TB oil

2 large sweet potatoes

1 large red pepper

1 can black beans, drained and rinsed

1 bag frozen corn

1 red onion

1 teaspoon cumin

1/2 teaspoon chipotle seasoning

1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper

1 teaspoon fresh cilantro


First, peel the sweet potatoes if you want. I don't care whether the skin's on or not so I leave it. It doesn't affect the taste whatsoever.
Chop up your sweets to about 1/2 inch cubes. If you're bad with eyeballing sizes like I am, just cut them into what looks like bite sized to you. Like a Hershey's Miniature! Here's where I save a lot of time. I steam the chopped potatoes in Ziploc Zip N Steam bags. 7 minutes in the microwave and they are steamed to fork tender perfection. If you don't have these handy little buggers on hand (as you should!), you can put them in a loosely covered microwave safe bowl and nuke 'em for 4-6 minutes soften them up.
While your sweets are in the microwave, heat up your oil in a good sized non-stick skillet on medium-high heat. While your oil is heating up, you can take this time to chop your pepper and onion into bite sizers. Once your oil is hot, add the peppers. Let them saute for 2-3 minutes before adding the onion. Once you throw the onion in, let it all cook, stirring occasionally, until the veggies are crisp tender.
Add your sweets, corn, cumin, chipotle, and crushed red pepper. Cook another 2-3 minutes (keep stirring!) and toss your beans in there. Once everything is heated up, dust your cilantro over the top and give it another quick toss.

This is really good if you heat up a tortilla and schmear some mashed avocado on before wrapping it up. The hubby likes it with a schmear of sour cream and a handful of taco cheese. Any way you condiment it, it's delicious.



Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment